Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Name Change

I was going through my card holder last week to archive some of the old name cards. And one of them caught the attention of my husband. So, I explained to him that that was my Aunt Pat's name card when she owned that company. When I told him that she always loves to change her name, my hubby raised his eyebrows.

It may sound very strange to a lot of people, including the Chinese. My Aunt Pat is a 200% superstitious person. She pays a fortune to her favorite fortune teller every year of the "Fung Shui" of her house and office. She also goes to him for her name and her children's names. If the fortune teller tells her that this name doesn't sound right or not match her date of birth very well, she will follow the instructions of him to change the name(s).

As you all know changing name just like changing your identity, you need to go through a lot of processes in the government to get it done. My aunt never thinks that this is a trouble at all. As long as she got her name changed as the fortune teller told her, she feels very comfortable to go through all these troubles. Believe it or not, I can't even remember how many times that she changes her name. And she is not the only one. There are Chinese out there doing this.

No comments: